Science Update - IACC Full Committee Meeting - January 12, 2016
The January 2016 IACC Science Updates were not presented at the IACC meeting due to schedule changes, but are provided below.
Science Update Slides
- View Slides (PDF – 338 KB)
Question 1: When should I be concerned?
- Polyak A, Kubina RM, Girirajan S. Comorbidity of Intellectual Disability Confounds Ascertainment of Autism: Implications for Genetic Diagnosis. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2015 Oct;168(7):600-8.[PMID: 26198689]
- Zwaigenbaum L, Bauman ML, Fein D, Pierce K, Buie T, Davis PA, Newschaffer C, Robins DL, Wetherby A, Choueiri R, Kasari C, Stone WL, Yirmiya N, Estes A, Hansen RL, McPartland JC, Natowicz MR, Carter A, Granpeesheh D, Mailloux Z, Smith Roley S, Wagner S. Early Screening of Autism Spectrum Disorder: Recommendations for Practice and Research. Pediatrics. 2015 Oct;136 Suppl 1:S41-59.[PMID: 26430169]
- Magaña S, Parish SL, Son E. Have Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the Quality of Health Care Relationships Changed for Children With Developmental Disabilities and ASD? Am J Intellect Dev Disabil. 2015 Nov;120(6):504-13.[PMID: 26505871]
- Ozonoff S, Young GS, Landa RJ, Brian J, Bryson S, Charman T, Chawarska K, Macari SL, Messinger D, Stone WL, Zwaigenbaum L, Iosif AM. Diagnostic stability in young children at risk for autism spectrum disorder: a baby siblings research consortium study. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2015 Sep;56(9):988-98. [PMID 25921776]
- Zwaigenbaum L, Bauman ML, Stone WL, Yirmiya N, Estes A, Hansen RL, McPartland JC, Natowicz MR, Choueiri R, Fein D, Kasari C, Pierce K, Buie T, Carter A, Davis PA, Granpeesheh D, Mailloux Z, Newschaffer C, Robins D, Roley SS, Wagner S, Wetherby A. Early Identification of Autism Spectrum Disorder: Recommendations for Practice and Research. Pediatrics. 2015 Oct;136 Suppl 1:S10-40. [PMID 26430168]
Question 2: How can I understand what is happening?
- Carson DS, Garner JP, Hyde SA, Libove RA, Berquist SW, Hornbeak KB, Jackson LP, Sumiyoshi RD, Howerton CL, Hannah SL, Partap S, Phillips JM, Hardan AY, Parker KJ. Arginine Vasopressin Is a Blood-Based Biomarker of Social Functioning in Children with Autism. PLoS One. 2015 Jul 22;10(7):e0132224. [PMID: 26200852]
- Supekar K, Menon V. Sex differences in structural organization of motor systems and their dissociable links with repetitive/restricted behaviors in children with autism. Mol Autism. 2015 Sep 4;6:50. [PMID: 26347127]
- Robertson CE, Ratai EM, Kanwisher N. Reduced GABAergic Action in the Autistic Brain. Curr Biol. 2015 Dec 16. pii: S0960-9822(15)01413-X. [PMID: 26711497]
- Jou RJ, Reed HE, Kaiser MD, Voos AC, Volkmar FR, Pelphrey KA. White Matter Abnormalities in Autism and Unaffected Siblings. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2015 Sep 25. [Epub ahead of print] [PMID 26404174]
- Estes A, Zwaigenbaum L, Gu H, St John T, Paterson S, Elison JT, Hazlett H, Botteron K, Dager SR, Schultz RT, Kostopoulos P, Evans A, Dawson G, Eliason J, Alvarez S, Piven J; IBIS network. Behavioral, cognitive, and adaptive development in infants with autism spectrum disorder in the first 2 years of life. J Neurodev Disord. 2015;7(1):24. [PMID 26203305]
Question 3: What caused this to happen and can it be prevented?
- Walker CK, Krakowiak P, Baker A, Hansen RL, Ozonoff S, Hertz-Picciotto I. Preeclampsia, placental insufficiency, and autism spectrum disorder or developmental delay. JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Feb;169(2):154-62. [PMID 25485869]
- Zerbo O, Yoshida C, Gunderson EP, Dorward K, Croen LA. Interpregnancy Interval and Risk of Autism Spectrum Disorders. Pediatrics. 2015 Oct;136(4):651-7. [[PMID: 26371204]
- Sandin S, Schendel D, Magnusson P, Hultman C, Surén P, Susser E, Grønborg T, Gissler M, Gunnes N, Gross R, Henning M, Bresnahan M, Sourander A, Hornig M, Carter K, Francis R, Parner E, Leonard H, Rosanoff M, Stoltenberg C, Reichenberg A. Autism risk associated with parental age and with increasing difference in age between the parents. Mol Psychiatry. 2015 Jun 9. [PMID 26055426]
Question 4: Which treatments and interventions will help?
Treatments and Interventions
- Zwaigenbaum L, Bauman ML, Choueiri R, Kasari C, Carter A, Granpeesheh D, Mailloux Z, Smith Roley S, Wagner S, Fein D, Pierce K, Buie T, Davis PA, Newschaffer C, Robins D, Wetherby A, Stone WL, Yirmiya N, Estes A, Hansen RL, McPartland JC, Natowicz MR. Early Intervention for Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder Under 3 Years of Age: Recommendations for Practice and Research. Pediatrics. 2015 Oct;136 Suppl 1:S60-81 [PMID: 26430170]
- Yatawara CJ, Einfeld SL, Hickie IB, Davenport TA, Guastella AJ. The effect of oxytocin nasal spray on social interaction deficits observed in young children with autism: a randomized clinical crossover trial. Mol Psychiatry. 2015 Oct 27. [PMID: 26503762]
- Wink LK, Pedapati EV, Horn PS, McDougle CJ, Erickson CA. Multiple Antipsychotic Medication Use in Autism Spectrum Disorder. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2015 Oct 14. [Epub ahead of print] [PMID: 26465194]
- Owen-Smith AA, Bent S, Lynch FL, Coleman KJ, Yau VM, Pearson KA, Massolo ML, Quinn V, Croen LA. Prevalence and Predictors of Complementary and Alternative Medicine Use in a Large Insured Sample of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Res Autism Spectr Disord. 2015 Sep 1;17:40-51. [PMID: 26366192]
- Young HE, Falco RA, Hanita M. Randomized, Controlled Trial of a Comprehensive Program for Young Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder. J Autism Dev Disord. 2015 Oct 5. [Epub ahead of print] [PMID: 26438637]
Question 5: Where can I turn for services?
- Zablotsky B1, Pringle BA, Colpe LJ, Kogan MD, Rice C, Blumberg SJ. Service and Treatment Use Among Children Diagnosed With Autism Spectrum Disorders. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2015 Feb-Mar;36(2):98-105. [PMID: 25650952]
- Chen JL, Sung C, Pi S. Vocational Rehabilitation Service Patterns and Outcomes for Individuals with Autism of Different Ages. J Autism Dev Disord. 2015 Sep;45(9):3015-29. [PMID: 25982310]
- Barrett B, Mosweu I, Jones CR, Charman T, Baird G, Simonoff E, Pickles A, Happé F, Byford S. Comparing service use and costs among adolescents with autism spectrum disorders, special needs and typical development. Autism. 2015 Jul;19(5):562-9. [PMID: 24913778]
- Roux AM, Shattuck PL, Rast JE, Rava JA, Edwards AD, Wei X, McCracken M, Yu JW. Characteristics of Two-Year College Students on the Autism Spectrum and Their Support Services Experiences. Autism Research and Treatment. 2015 Nov. Available at: [http://www.hindawi.com/journals/aurt/2015/391693/ ]
- Zerbo O, Massolo ML, Qian Y, Croen LA. A Study of Physician Knowledge and Experience with Autism in Adults in a Large Integrated Healthcare System. J Autism Dev Disord. 2015 Dec;45(12):4002-14. [PMID 26334872]
- Cheak-Zamora NC, Teti M. "You think it’s hard now … It gets much harder for our children": Youth with autism and their caregiver’s perspectives of health care transition services. Autism November 2015 19: 992-1001. [PMID 25504639]
- Hill AP, Zuckerman KE, Fombonne E. Obesity and Autism. Pediatrics. 2015 Nov 2. [Epub ahead of print] [PMID: 26527551]
Question 6: What does the future hold, particularly for adults?
- Fortuna RJ, Robinson L, Smith TH, Meccarello J, Bullen B, Nobis K, Davidson PW. Health Conditions and Functional Status in Adults with Autism: A Cross-Sectional Evaluation. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Sep 11. [Epub ahead of print] [PMID: 26361965]
- Jacob A, Scott M, Falkmer M, Falkmer T. The Costs and Benefits of Employing an Adult with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Systematic Review. PLoS One. 2015 Oct 7;10(10):e0139896. [PMID: 26445345]
- Gotham K, Marvin AR, Taylor JL, Warren Z, Anderson CM, Law PA, Law JK, Lipkin PH. Characterizing the daily life, needs, and priorities of adults with autism spectrum disorder from Interactive Autism Network data. Autism. 2015 Oct;19(7):794-804. [PMID: 25964655]
- Russell AJ, Murphy CM, Wilson E, Gillan N, Brown C, Robertson DM, Craig MC, Deeley Q, Zinkstok J, Johnston K, McAlonan GM, Spain D, Murphy DG. The mental health of individuals referred for assessment of autism spectrum disorder in adulthood: A clinic report. Autism. 2015 Oct 15. [Epub ahead of print] [PMID: 26471427]
- Taylor JL, Henninger NA, Mailick MR. Longitudinal patterns of employment and postsecondary education for adults with autism and average-range IQ. Autism. 2015 Oct;19(7):785-93. [PMID: 26019306]
- Croen LA, Zerbo O, Qian Y, Massolo ML, Rich S, Sidney S, Kripke C. The health status of adults on the autism spectrum. Autism. 2015 Oct;19(7):814-23. 
- Nicolaidis C, Raymaker DM, Ashkenazy E, McDonald KE, Dern S, Baggs AE, Kapp SK, Weiner M, Boisclair WC. "Respect the way I need to communicate with you": Healthcare experiences of adults on the autism spectrum. Autism. 2015 Oct;19(7):824-31. doi: 10.1177/1362361315576221. Epub 2015 Apr 16. [PMID: 25882392]
Question 7: What other infrastructure and surveillance needs must be met?
Infrastructure and Surveillance
- Zablotsky B, Black LI, Maenner MJ, Schieve LA, Blumberg SJ. Estimated Prevalence of Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities Following Questionnaire Changes in the 2014 National Health Interview Survey. Natl Health Stat Report. 2015 Nov;(87):1-21. [PMID: 26632847]
- Baxter AJ, Brugha TS, Erskine HE, Scheurer RW, Vos T, Scott JG. The epidemiology and global burden of autism spectrum disorders. Psychol Med. 2015 Feb;45(3):601-13. [PMID: 25108395]